Surgo’s aim is to be recognised as the foremost building contractor in the North East of England, with a commitment to ensuring a sustainable approach in all its business activities. Demonstration of being a responsible business in practice is exemplified by our values and our culture together with our activities and ambitions which comprise the four key areas of people, community, environment and marketplace.
In pursuit of recognition as the foremost building contractor in the region, we will use our skills and knowledge to add value to projects for the benefit of our clients and the communities they serve. We demonstrate this by:
- Creating a place of work where people choose to be
- Facilitating a culture of continual learning and improvement
- Providing the safest possible working environment
- Seeking to reduce, recycle and re-use any waste that our projects may generate
- We support lifelong learning through our company-wide training schemes and are proud of our ‘inclusive and supportive culture’
- We are committed to improving health in the workplace; we are keen for our staff to eat healthily, adopt a healthy lifestyle and become involved in keeping fit outside of work
- We value every employee – staff benefit from regular ‘toolbox talks’ and the provision of a twice-yearly newsletter. We also provide a comprehensive staff handbook.
- At all times we engage with our people in a positive and supportive manner, operating with an open-door policy so they feel encouraged to express their views.
- As an associate member of Considerate Constructors, we actively involve the community in the process of our work, looking after their interests as if they were our own.
- Whenever possible, we promote local employment opportunities, engage with the community through letter drops and undertake consultation sessions to provide the opportunity for constructive discussion.
- Within the education sector we work closely with children and teaching staff to provide enhanced learning experiences and a greater understanding of construction site safety
- We play an active role supporting the communities we serve and encourage staff to become involved in charitable activities, regularly matching any monies raised. An active member of the Lord’s Taverners, other charities recently supported include the Trussell Trust and Children North East.
We are always vigilant to minimising our impact on the natural environment by:
- Promoting recycling and reduction of waste at source, encouraging construction-side reclamation, maximising the use of waste transfer stations and actively working with our supply chain in the reduction of packaging
- Embedding environmental awareness amongst staff through active promotion of our environmental policy, stressing its importance with project partners, clients and building users alike
- Maximising the potential for sustainable solutions through innovative thinking
- Undertaking a yearly ‘green purge’ or in-house environmental audit, which has led to Surgo moving to a reduced carbon emissions fleet
Being the best means
- Exceeding our clients’ expectations and actively seeking opportunities to add value to each project
- Cultivating an expectation of quality and reliability among supply chain partners
- Sharing best practice with our peers and promoting professionalism and corporate governance through the membership of professional bodies and groups as well as investing time and expertise in regional business organisations
- Building trust with our customers by taking responsibility for problems and finding mutually acceptable solutions, standing in our clients’ shoes to see the world from their perspective and operating honourably in all our business activities